Monday, March 25, 2013

Home Made Chap Stick

So this past year I decided I wanted to use the wax that I harvested off all of the extra capping wax from the honey frames last year.  I am a huge fan of Burts Bees Wax, so I wanted to try to make something similar.  I love the peppermint tingle from the original kind of chap stick, so I found a recipe that I thought would be the best and tweaked it to make it my own. 

Ingredients:

1.5 oz of beeswax (I used my kitchen scale to measure this out)
4 tsp of doTERRA Coconut oil
3 tsp of Sunflower Oil
0.5 oz of Lanolin
20 drops of Vitamin E oil
15 drops of doTERRA Rosemary essential oil
30 drops of doTERRA Peppermint essential oil

I bought all of the empty tubes, sunflower oil, and lanolin at Mountain Majestic Sage up in Logan, Ut.  They have everything you would ever need for soaps, lotions, chap sticks, lipstick, etc.
The Rosemary and Peppermint essential oil and Coconut Oil comes from doTERRA Essential Oils of which I highly suggest!  I am a consultant for them and love their oils.  They are certified pure oils and are not diluted like the oils purchased at Walmart, or even Health Food Stores.  doTERRA oils are very potent and if you are going to use a store bought oil, you may have to add more oil to it since it may not be as strong as doTERRA oils. 
The Vitamin E oil can be purchased typically at any grocery store's pharmacy section. 

The Process:

I melted all of the ingredients in a double boiler except the vitamin e oil and essential oils.  Melt everything down and just before pouring into the tubes mix in the vitamine e oil and essential oils. Once it is all mixed together I poured it into a pyrex glass measuring cup to fill the chap stick tubes.  You can fill to the top and then as it cools add a couple more drops to the top to make it mounded, instead of sunken and flat. If the mixture cools in the pyrex just microwave it on 50% for 30 second intervals till all melted.

It makes about 25 tubes of chap stick 



Let me know how yours turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment