Sunday, April 17, 2016

About Dash of Granola

This is my beautiful family 
My husband Andrew is a great supporter of my crazy ideas and works so hard for our family.  My beautiful daughter Stella is 5 and she is my princess and such an amazing daughter.  And the little guy in the middle, he is my reason for this crazy journey of starting Dash of Granola Farm.  Jefferson is 2 1/2 and just so happens to rock an extra chromosome.  Jefferson has Down syndrome.  I have started this farm as a goal to have a safe, fun, educational place for Jefferson to work when he gets older.  I plan on hiring him and a few of his friends to work on the farm and  sell produce at the markets through out the summer.  I have high expectations for him and I plan on having him work with me as he gets older.  

Once I held my son for the first time, I knew he had Down syndrome.  I knew his life would be different than a typical child.  I knew I would have to fight the rest of his life for him and advocacy for acceptance.  I plan on pushing J and keep his mind moving and learning all his life.  I read about a farm in New York that hires people with intellectual disabilities to work on their farm.  This sparked an idea, why couldn't I do that? 

I have an extensive background in Horticulture.  I have a degree in ornamental horticulture from Utah State 
I have worked just about every field in horticulture.  But I have found my true calling and love in horticulture.  The past 4 years I have been working for the Salt Lake County Sheriff Office educating the prisoners in how to properly cultivate, grow, and harvest a garden.  We then go to the farmers markets and sell the produce.  The community is very supportive and loves to see the inmates at the markets each week.  I love this job and it is so rewarding to know I am hopefully helping these men and teaching them a life skill they could use after they are released.  

So going back to, why couldn't I do that? 

Last year I decided to start Dash of Granola Farm.  My goal hopefully within the next couple of years is to be able to hire a couple kids with Down syndrome to work for me.  Can you imagine going to the farmers markets and see a booth ran by kids with Down syndrome?  Seeing the public support the inmates, I cannot imagine how supportive the community will be supporting these special kids who are working, learning, weeding, watering, and growing the food they are selling.  (I know goose bumps right?) 

I am so excited!! This year will be a big year for us.  We currently have moved out of our house and are living with family for the summer.  This fall we will be purchasing our farm.  We will finally be getting our land that we will be able to call our own! 

Until next time, here is my reason!  


4 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! It will be great experience for your son! I'm sure it will be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing! Best of blessings in your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing! Best of blessings in your efforts!

    ReplyDelete